Saturday, January 1, 2011

Week 8 - Orton Effect (And Happy New Year)

In my quest to grow as a photographer I have been doing a fair bit of reading and learning about all sorts of tools and tricks that I had never heard of before.  This week I decided to explore one of them, the Orton Effect.  I'm not going to try to explain the while history or even a how-to but suffice it to say Micheal Orton was a photographer that would take two images of a scene, one in focus and slightly overexposed and another out of focus and overexposed.  He would then sandwich the two slides in the same holder.  The result of which is an image that sort of glows.  In any event, I wanted to play with this process which is much easier in the digital world that it was for Mr. Orton, so I found this picture I took a while ago of a Gerber Daisy and applied the Orton Effect.  Here is the original image:

Canon Rebel XTi, Sigma 150mm lens,
ISO 100, F 16, 0.8 s
And here is the image with the Orton Effect applied:

Orton Effect
After playing with that I wondered what would happen if I changed the original image to Black and White and then added the colour layer back in.  The result looks to me like those old colourized black and white images (which I suppose it is although it was done in photoshop rather than being hand-painted).
Modified Orton Effect

No comments:

Post a Comment