Saturday, January 22, 2011

Week 11 - Inspiration

I've been creating a list of photo ideas for those days when I'm just not inspired to take pictures and so far, I haven't used it.  I've been finding inspiration in all sorts of things.  For example, the other morning, I looked out the window and saw that although the sun was shining it was also raining.  I grabbed my camera and tripod, convinced my wife to come out and hold the umbrella ("no... over the camera, you'll dry"), and took pictures of drops of water with the sun shining through them.
Canon 20D, Sigma 150mm lens,
ISO 400, f/16, 1/200s
Last week, I found a photo contest to enter with the theme being "The Colour Green".  The cover came off the pool table, the strobes came out and I started taking pictures.  This wasn't the one submitted (not green enough) but it's one of my favourites from the set.
Canon 20D, Sigma 150mm lens,
ISO 100, f/2.8, 1/200s
It turns out, there is inspiration everywhere and I have a list of photo ideas that aren't getting used.  I know that a professional photographer can't get distracted and just run around taking pictures of the next bright shiny thing he sees because that wouldn't add up to a cohesive body of work.  So clearly I need to learn how to embrace a plan.  This shouldn't be hard should it?  Ooh!  Look... bright shiny thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment