Saturday, March 26, 2011

Week 20 - Photo Contests

Recently I have been taking my inspiration for photo assignments from Photography contests, mostly from magazines.  Some of these contests I have been entering, some I haven't bothered but it's a very interesting way to put on a particular pair of glasses through which to view the world.  The most recent contest category I have been using is "Urban Landscapes".  When you think of Nelson, "urban landscape" isn't really a phrase that springs to mind.  But with that idea in my head I have been wandering Nelson and seeing things differently than I have before.  Suddenly that alley between Baker and Vernon looks very urban and instead of ugly overhead wires, I see the beauty of the repeating pattern of the poles that hold them up.
Canon 20D, Canon 17-85mm lens,
ISO 400, f/11, 1/250s
And with Urban Landscape in mind, the background behind this railing gives the railing that urban feel.  With trees behind it, it would look rustic or perhaps from a country estate.

Canon 20D, Canon 17-85mm lens,
ISO 400, f/5.6, 1/800s


No comments:

Post a Comment