Saturday, April 9, 2011

Week 22 - Fake Miniatures

This week I learned a technique for making a scene look like a miniature model.  The idea is to take a photograph with an extremely short depth of field that would normally be associated with a macro lens.  There are a couple of ways to accomplish this:  get a field or view camera or a tilt-shift lens and angle the film plane across your image so the plane of focus is on a very small portion of your photograph; or what I did... use Photoshop.  The Photoshop approach was by far the cheapest as a tilt-shift lens can run you $2500, and I already have Photoshop Elements.

Canon Rebel XTi,
ISO 400, f/8, 1/400s
Creating this effect in Photoshop is quite simple.  Copy the layer, apply a Gaussian Blur and a layer mask to the copied layer and selectively mask out the parts of the photo you want to remain clear.  The only trick I found to the whole process was that I needed to apply effect and then do something else for a little while before looking at the picture again in order to see the miniature I was trying to mimic and not just a blurry picture.


Canon 20D, Canon 17-85mm Lens,
ISO 400, f/16, 1/160s

Other advice I found when looking up this techniques was:  boost contrast and saturation, take a picture from above and scenes with cars or people in them work well.  I would add to that, take pictures of clean and un-worn scenes.  I think the cross-walk lines that have been worn out and the spring grit partially covering the centre line in the image above detract from the idea that this scene is a model.  After all, no one is going to make a model that looks a little old and tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment